Learning to be Present in your Own Life


I've had a few people ask me where I've been lately as they haven't seen any posts. It's simple really after facing many scary health issues months ago, I've tried to take things less for granted. It's funny isn't it that it takes something like that to shake you awake? Yet, sometimes that's exactly what you need. So briefly, I wanted to share just a few things I've learned along the way:

1. You are Always Stronger Than You Think!


I was fortunate to have a very supportive network of people surrounding me when things felt very dim. So for my strength, to them I give a lot of credit. Whether you are going through a health situation, a family or financial situation, or sometimes just a personal struggle to you I say, be brave. You can handle this, you are not alone, and you will overcome this difficult time.

2. Make Your Time Count!


Finish those things that you've always wanted to do. Remember that goal you set years ago and always said one day I'll do it? Today is that day! Personally I think we are all given talents of some kind, figure out what yours is and share it with the world. Maybe you were born to help others, teach others or comfort others, use that gift and the time you've been given and go for it. Don't live in the past, and don't end your time here, with regrets if you can avoid it and for goodness sake, have fun along the way!

For me, at 38 years old I have now gone back to school to finish my graduate degree, bought a motorcycle and am learning to ride, and leading a new music program for those with Alzheimer's and Dementia. I am learning to live outside of my comfort zone, finishing a goal, helping others, and daring to live more courageously...in my own little way.

3. Consider Your Legacy!


When the time comes and people are reflecting on your life, what do you want them to say about you? "Man that person was a jerk" or "They were always such a pain". No of course not, hopefully you'd like to be thought of as a fun-loving, charitable, compassionate person, etc. I would much rather people rejoice and remember me fondly. I would hope some of my knowledge and skills pass along to my stepdaughter's and one day they can pass them down themselves. The best thing we can do (in my opinion), is to live the best life we can and make the most of all of the experiences we have.

Dear friends, learn to be present in your own life and be "all in" in those moments that matter. We all have to face the daily grind of life and time can slip away from us so easily. But in those extra moments: have fun, live bravely, serve others and like I said earlier... make it count!



No comments:

Post a Comment