Saturday Spotlight: Featuring the Perky Prepping Gramma

perky prepping gramma

Meet Dorothy, Also Known as the Perky Prepping Gramma !

 
Dorothy is sharing the following article on finances and prepping,
to us from her blog Perky Prepping Gramma



In the beginning (part 4)...

There were three things that really helped to establish how I approached my preparations. Budgeting, challenges and goal setting... These things help me stay very focused on what I am doing. It allows me to be actually be doing stuff, working towards our goals every week. Not haphazardly, doing things here and there. Very early on, I started working with a specific percentage of my income to be dedicated to my prep's.
My budgeting started out something like this, 10% for my tithe, then 10% for prepping & 10% for savings. The savings would be cash on hand for big purchases (i.e. Zaycon chicken or sales on canning jars, lids). Then I used the other 70% for everyday, monthly expenses. This extra 10% for saving quickly added up. We also have worked towards having a least two months cash on hand at all times in case there is some type of financial collapse (either the government, banks or loss of our jobs).
NOTE: If you have a belief system that doesn't believe in tithing, I still encourage you to develop the habit of giving to others. It is my opinion that whether it is tzedakah or mitzvah (I hope I am getting the terms correct, if not please forgive me), or simply giving to charity; I think it changes your outlook in life. Next, I like challenging myself (and others). I once took a challenge where I was only allowed to spend $250 for one month. It was a very eye opening experience. After pre-paying the monthly bills (which we were allowed to do), What I learned from this challenge, was that there was a lot of extraneous spending in my life. For example, I ate out several times a week. Since then, I may still get take out or delivery, but it is only maybe once or twice a month. What changed at that point, was I decided I could truly budget 20% of my income for prepping. I have learned something every time I take a challenge.
Next, I settled in on setting monthly goals. I quickly decided to establish monthly goals. Each month there is a goal of “Meat (canning) & Something else”. Here are some examples from last year, when I was getting started. November: “Meats & Thanksgiving items”, this would be all the items I use for our traditional Thanksgiving meal. Like right now, I am buying (and storing) various items like, pineapple, mandarin oranges, marshmallows, nuts, cranberry sauce, etc. Plus, this is my second year doing this, so I will be testing out what I stored last year. December: “Meat & Christmas items”, this included our traditional Christmas Eve party of special foods. On Christmas Eve we each get to choose a couple items that we just don't get through out the year, either because they are generally too expensive or they don't fit into our lifestyle now. January: “Meat & Water (storage containers & filtration)” February: “Meat & canning butter” March: “Meat (corned beef and cabbage, Zaycon chicken breasts) and waxing cheese”. I plan based on seasonal sales & what I want to learn next (I have an ongoing list of things to learn). It has been very helpful for me to post my goals at the beginning of the month & a review at the end of the month. Doing this keeps me accountable. I focus on posting the things that I am actually doing and don't post a lot cutesy stuff or re-posts of things I am not doing. I think one of the biggest steps is actually deciding to make preparing a priority in your life and then doing something about it. I am extremely dedicated to helping the newbie get started. Since we are on this journey together, I will throw this challenge out there: Are you ready to get dedicated to your preparations? How do you plan on doing that?


To Read Parts 1, 2, & 3 of the Perky Prepping Gramma’s “In the Beginning” Series, Please Click on her Blog link Below!
Find the Perky Prepping Gramma on Facebook Here. And Read & Follow the Perky Prepping Gramma Blog Here.  
A Special Thank You to the Perky Prepping Gramma For Being This Saturday’s Spotlight Guest!

No comments:

Post a Comment