5 Quick Tips: To Ease a Toothache

Photo Credit: Digi_Shot

I consider myself to be relatively tolerant of most minor aches and pains, but there is absolutely nothing more painful than a severe toothache.

 I recently spent three days in absolute torturous pain that felt like I was either getting hit in the face by lightning repeatedly or being shot in the face...it is a toss up between the two.
The culprit? The WORST toothache I've ever experienced!

Here are the Top 5 Things I Tried and How They Worked:



1. Gargling Warm Salt Water:

In the past I've found with minor toothaches this has always been a good general approach. If the pain is minimal it does give some relief, but for more severe situations it is not going to be the best option.

2. Gargling Hydrogen Peroxide:

Yes I know what you may be thinking, you shouldn't use this internally at full strength. Okay so here goes my PC word of warning: "Just Don't Swallow It!", see simple. I have had a lot of success in the past with this and in the most recent instance, I did find that this method gave me around 5 minutes of comfort at a time, but it was definitely not a lasting solution.

3.  Hot/Cold Therapy:

As the pain first began to creep up, I decided that I would try to soak in a hot bath to see if it helped to relieve the discomfort. I did have minimal relief from the hot water, but you could just use a hot compress as well. Later after the pain intensified I decided to apply an ice pack to the side of my jaw that was hurting and that too dulled the pain, but only minimally. 

4. Home Remedies:

Garlic/Onion-
For minor toothaches I have used garlic or onion to dull the pain. This can either be with done with raw pieces of garlic or onion placed on the affected tooth or simply mixing garlic or onion powder with room temperature water and gargling until the pain subsides. 

Vanilla-
Another home remedy that can be helpful is using vanilla extract. Dip a cotton swab into the vanilla and apply to the tooth. If you try the vanilla, be sure not to get it on your gums or tongue as it can cause a burning sensation. 

Baking Soda-
A third option that can be very helpful is to use baking soda. You'll need a cotton ball, baking soda and water. First you mix baking soda with a little water and heat it up for about 30 seconds. Be careful not to get it too hot though, that will only make things worse. After you have warmed your paste, dip your cotton ball into the mixture until well covered. Now place it over the affected tooth and leave it there until the pain stops. This does not taste especially pleasant, but it can help a lot.

5. Advil Liqui-Gels:

I had previously seen this method online, but had never tried it until this episode. One quick note, the generic versions also work just fine. In fact I had the Family Dollar version which is labeled 'Family Wellness'. Take one gel cap and poke it with a needle or thumbtack so that the medication is able to leak out and either place the full gel cap on the tooth or as I did, saturate a cotton swab with the medication and apply directly to the tooth. 


Which Method Finally Worked to Stop My Severe Pain?

It was the Ibuprofen Gel Cap for the Win!


If you find yourself in a similar situation and you try any of these methods, let us know if they helped. If you have other suggestions or proven methods, please feel free to share them in the comments. 



*NOTE: I am not a physician, nor claim to be. This article is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor, go to the emergency department, or call 911 immediately. 

No comments:

Post a Comment